This ad appears in the Washington Times on April 17, 2017.
Please click the photo to view the add as it appeared in Harpers Magazine.
Earth Day turns 47 this year –
yet one environmental threat
remains largely ignored…
…America is growing by an average of 1 person every 16* seconds.
150,000,000: U.S. population in 1950
325,000,000: U.S. population today
400,000,000: projected U.S. population in 2050
Despite what you may think, population growth is a real problem – especially here in the U.S. where our consumption levels are far higher than in the rest of the world.
Still not convinced overpopulation is an issue?
- In 2014, our nation had less than 5% of the world’s population but was responsible for over 20% of global oil consumption.
- Every hour, the U.S. loses 50 acres of farm and ranch land to sprawl and development.
- Our nation’s water use has nearly doubled since 1950, growing right alongside our population.
- In 2013, Americans generated 254 million tons of trash – representing 4.4 pounds per person per day – and our total garbage creation has nearly tripled since 1960.
If we want to protect our environment,
we must talk about population size and growth.
NPG is leading the conversation – and YOU CAN HELP!
Visit www.NPG.org and get involved!
World population, now over 7.3 billion, is predicted to rise to 9 billion by 2050, an increase of almost two billion, or 23%, in the short space of only 34 years from now.In the highly unlikely event that per capita greenhouse gas emissions could possibly be decreased by an equal percentage in such a short space of time (a blink of an eye) the total amount of worldwide emission would remain the same!
From this simple illustration it would appear that without drastically reducing the size of world population, there is no solution to the problem.None at all.So then why do our world leaders pretend that there is one?What is to be gained by pretending rather than by proposing a solution that would solve the problem – a reduction in the size of world population to not more than 1- 2 billion?
Latest posts by NPG (see all)
- Ad for the Washington Times. - October 13, 2017
- Ever Increasing Immigration is Not Necessary to Keep U.S. Economy Growing - September 12, 2017
- NPG Paper Denounces GOP Pushes toGut Planned Parenthood and ACA - August 29, 2017